Actas VIII Congreso Internacional 1997 (Emory)
Comments by the president, Debra Castillo:
1. The 1998 annual conference will be held at the Tempe Mission Palms in Arizona, cosponsored by ASU (David Foster) and ASUW (Cynthia Tompkins), Sept. 17-19, l998.
2. Nomination are for open l998 elections of steering committee members (Vice President, Secretary, Vocales). Please send nominations to Debra Castillo by the 1 March l998 closing date; candidate statements to be posted on website by 1 September; voting will be done by email or paper ballot.
3. Reminder that Victoria Urbano’s books can be purchased through Raquel Romeu, Dept. Foreign Languages, LeMoyne College, Syracuse, NY 13214.
4. Members interested in reviewing books for Letras femeninas please
contact Debra Castillo.
Comments by Adelaida López de Martínez, editor Letras femeninas.
1. The association is soliciting proposals from members interested in
taking over the editorship of the journal in the year 2000. All proposals
b) a description of the prospective editor’s experience and qualifications for editing an academic journal, and
c) a statement from dean, department chair, or other administrator as to the institution’s financial commitment to the journal.
2. Proposal to establish an annual prize, named after the organization’s founder, Victoria Urbano, to honor the best paper given at the annual meeting. Various members made suggestions on how to organize such a prize; all comments and suggestions should be sent to Debra Castillo for collating and consideration.
Comments by Magdalena Maiz on Grafemas.
1. Grafemas was created to serve as a bulletin to help the Association create and maintain ties, as well as to share information among members. The cost of producing and mailing an issue is about $300, including 350 copies distributed nationally and about 50 internationally.
2. Members are invited to contact Magdalena Maiz if they would like to consider taking over editorship of the bulletin.
3. Proposal was made to change to an electronic format, sending paper copies only to those members who do not have email access.
1. Send comments, suggestions, advice about websites to Debra Castillo.
2. Proposal was made to set up list serv; Debra Castillo will investigate.
3. The association is accepting proposals for future annual conference sites; past organizers will be happy to share their expertise with interested members.
Debra A. Castillo
Dept. Romance Studies
Goldwin Smith Hall
Ithaca, NY 14853-3201