Farewell England!

As I dwell in my Texas living room thinking about the last month, I am reminded of my many misconceptions of English culture before I arrived.  I assumed that terms British and English could be intertwined; however, just because you are British that does not make you entirely English. You could also be from Scotland or Wales since those inhabit Great Britain as well.  I also thought that most people in England generally had the same kind of accent. It’s interesting how “mates” who are south of Leeds, such as London, have a whole different dialect.

Tea at the famous Harvey Nichols

Scones, a type of quick bread normally served with tea, can also be pronounced two different ways depending on your location and what type of class you are. Tea is also made a certain way just like scones are said in a certain way. If milk is poured first into a cup of tea before the water, then that means you are upper class. If you pour the water first before the milk you are probably lower class.  I also had no idea that there was a method on how to apply butter, cream and jam to a scone. First you place the butter, jam, then cream (according to Professor Carrington). Who knew there was a particular technique to eating it either? (For the reference do not pick it up like a big mac from McDonalds).

Lola with a scone! With a demonstration on the incorrect way to cut it...

On my way home, surprisingly I did not have any mishaps such as losing bags, running to terminals winded, or missing flights. Although I did fall out of the train when I arrived to Manchester and I slept through my meal on the seven-hour flight back to America.  For the most part, I had an enjoyable trip that challenged my ethnocentric mindset and for now I’m glad to be back in the “slow” paced scene in the good old Lone Star State.

Flying over England

My last set of English words to leave you with:

-Biscuits: in the UK this refers to what Americans call crackers or cookies.

-People in the North normally say “love” at the end of a phrase to show friendly emotion. They might say something like “here ya go love” when handing you your groceries (this example happened to me haha).

-Also everyone says the word “cheers” at all times possible. It means thanks but its used way too often-a bunch of thank you circulate around England through the word “cheers.”

posted by Shayla Stockton in Uncategorized and have No Comments

Place your comment

Please fill your data and comment below.
Name
Email
Website
Your comment