February 8, 2007

Lesson 15: Pronunciation of “r” sounds (alt), Good Tippers

Filed under: Pronunciation — @ 4:21 pm

Our carioca is back! Once again Vivian Flanzer joins Michelle and Valdo to help us compare how people from Rio de Janeiro pronounce words the “r” sounds. So now we can compare Bahia, Rio de Janeiro, and São Paulo.

This lesson repeats the dialog from Lesson #14, but is sure doesn’t sound the same when Vivian is talking.

PODCAST LINK: Lesson 15

1. I am loving this podcast! I fell in love with Portuguese when I went to Brazil with my sister. Inspired by how much I’ve enjoyed this podcast during my walk to and from the office, I have now begun a course “Portuguese for Spanish Speakers” at NYU here in New York. Will definitely share this resource with my new classmates!

Comment by Margaret Coady — February 8, 2007 @ 11:27 pm

2. Margaret,
    Thanks, I know the exact feeling. I listen to various podcasts as I go to and from work as well and it’s a great pick-me-up to start my day and a great chill-a-bit as I go home.

Comment by orkelm — February 9, 2007 @ 7:25 am

3. I found out about your podcast lastnight and I simply love. gente, gosto muito este podcast! I am more fluent in portuguese than in spanish, so this really helps in understanding some differences in spanish and portuguese. Obrigadão valeu!

Comment by Steven — February 13, 2007 @ 7:49 pm

4. Steven, how interesting to find out that the podcast works in the other direction, helping those who speak Portuguese to understand Spanish. I never thought Ta Falado that way, but why not? Thanks for the feedback.

Comment by orkelm — February 13, 2007 @ 10:23 pm

5. Wow! How Michelle’s Rs are different, the ones at the end of her words. This got me thinking about the Gringo R and I wonder, shouldn’t it really be considered a vowel?

Thanks for a super podcast. I yearn for more!

Comment by Edward W. Schiffer — February 14, 2007 @ 7:51 am

6. I was able to listen to Lessons 14 and 15 this morning about the Rs. I popped off a quick reaction to you but I see that it did not get through so I would like to try again.

First of all, I want to thank you for a great learning opportunity. The wonderful thing about “Ta Falado” is that it is designed to make one “stop and smell the roses.” Your PDF support documents are invaluable to further internalize and understand the concepts you present.

I particularly loved the lessons about the R because I feel that its pronunciations give so much character to both Portuguese and Spanish. I laughed at the “hillbilly” comment about Michelle’s Rs. I was captivated by them since Lesson 1. This made me think of my past Peace Corps days and my “Gringo” Rs. Jose Luis’ crisp rattle really makes the Spanish R consonant sing out. What a great sound marker for Spanish!

What an interesting sound, the R, and I wonder if anyone out there would have a comment about the nature of Michelle’s “hillbilly” final R sound and the “Gringo” R sound in regards to their being classified as consonants. Are they not closer to being vowels?

Anyway, thanks for wonderful listening and I yearn for more!

Edward Schiffer

Comment by Edward W. Schiffer — February 14, 2007 @ 4:20 pm

7. Edward, sure enough, from a phonetics-sort of point of view, the “r” sounds are more vocalic, or we could say that they are “approximants”. And it is true that the “r” caipira and the american “r” are similar. This, however, is only true for syllable final “r”. You might recall that in the podcast we had the example of “falar” by itself and then “falar e cantar” together. You’ll notice that in “falar e cantar” that the “r” goes back to being a tap, just like in Spanish.
    I truly love to hear the various “r” sounds among Brazilian speakers. Vivian, Valdo, and Michelle, gave us great examples of how much they can differ.

Comment by orkelm — February 14, 2007 @ 8:00 pm

8. Hi there!

I heard this lesson some days ago and I remember Jose Luis saying that we Spaniards never give tips. I must say that this is just not true. It is true that it’s not included in the bill and it’s not mandatory, but if the service has been good, we usually reward our waiter or waitress buy giving a tip.

Angel

Comment by Angel — May 23, 2007 @ 2:59 am

9. Os “Rs” portugueses são muito legais. Esta gravação é útil em que muito bem explica as pronúncias de “R” nas posições diferentes. O PDF é útil em que alguém possa ver as palavras e reforce as associações entre a ortografia e a pronúncia.

Comment by dmonzingo — October 18, 2007 @ 7:39 pm

10. Acho que para falar “r” temos que fazer nosso garganta como se fora “hawking a mild loogie”

Comment by Leonel — October 20, 2007 @ 4:38 pm

11. O acho dificil pra falar râpido porque minha lengua quer falar os “r’s” como em espanhol.

Comment by Justin — October 26, 2007 @ 6:42 am

12. Eu acho mais facil a pronunciacao de Rio, porque o ‘R’ nao e tao forte. E mais facil pra mim que formar o sonido ‘r’ como nos Estados Unidos.

Comment by Chris Morley — October 26, 2007 @ 8:00 am

13. Uau, soa muito differente entre uma pessoa carrioca e uma pessoa de Sao Paolo quando dizem “carne!”

Comment by Kyle — October 15, 2008 @ 9:16 am

14. Quando eu cheguei a Salvador, eu ainda estava falando os ‘r’s como se fosse espanhol. Já falava certo os ‘r’s no início das palavras e os ‘r’s duplos, mas terminava as palavras ‘ter,’ ‘ler,’ ‘falar,’ etc. como ‘tener,’ ‘leer,’ e ‘hablar.’ Também pronunciava ‘carne,’ ‘cerveja,’ e ‘forno,’ como ‘carne,’ ‘cerveza,’ e ‘horno.’ Eu podia ouvir que ninguém lá falava isso, mas não queria mudar a minha pronúncia porque tinha medo de que ninguém me entendesse. No obstante, comecei a falar ‘r’s fortes como Oliveira e Vivian, e todo mundo me entendia (claro). Agora, adoro o som, e tenho dificuldade em pronunciar os ‘r’s de espanhol!

Comment by Clyde Sheble — October 22, 2008 @ 11:29 am

15. Muito interesante para os falantes de espanhol é difícil a pronunsia das “rr” Obrigado! Agora comprendo muito mais!

Comment by Eduardo Gonzalez — October 22, 2008 @ 5:57 pm

16. Quando eu ouço Michelle e Vivian falar a palavra ‘qualquer’ em ‘qualquer jeito,’ eu acho que a pronuncia dos ‘r’ muda a pronuncia do ‘e’ que vem antes. Eu acho que o ‘e’ de Michelle é um pouco mais como ‘ay’ em ‘day,’ e o ‘e’ de Vivian é mais como ‘eh,’ como em ‘let.’

Comment by Shannon Zamora — October 23, 2008 @ 10:27 pm

17. Tenho dois comentarios. O primeiro é que vc colocou que se as pessoas falam espanhol, eses vão ter mais facilidade de falar os rr duplos. Eu conheco pessoas falantes nativos de espanhol e eles não podes falar o rr duplo…achei interessante ese observação.

O outro é que achei a parte de r ao final da palavra comparado ao r que esta no medio de oração. Por exemplo, a diferença entre beber e bebeR e cantaR (como j em espanhol).

Comment by Lorena — October 23, 2008 @ 11:48 pm

18. Eu no posso escuchar a diferenca entre as diferentes pronunciacaos com e som /j/.

Comment by Carlos Barrera — June 21, 2009 @ 6:58 pm

19. Again, what interesting differences in pronunciation… I’ve found that when someone uses the ‘j’ or ‘h’ sound at the end of words (especially infinitives) it is often difficult for me to recognize the word. I have to pay more attention to that. It’s nice to have these podcasts to practice hearing the differences.

Comment by Mary Slosar — June 29, 2009 @ 7:49 am

20. Its amazing to hear such subtle differences in the pronunciation of the same letter (by the same speaker). And for a beginner, it’s useful to know that sometimes I won’t hear an r that is the spelling of a word.

Comment by KANITRA FLETCHER — July 6, 2009 @ 10:30 am

21. Qual é a diferença entre o som de “h” (hoje) e regra #1, quando “r” está na frente do palavra (roupa)?

Comment by Swetha Nulu — March 23, 2010 @ 9:24 pm

22. Só quero saber se o sotaque de São Paolo (Michele) tem influência espanhola? O sotaque da Michele parece mais como espanhol. Pode ser mais como espanhol devido ao influxo de imigrantes nessa área?

Comment by Nicholas Hall — March 23, 2010 @ 10:34 pm

23. A tradução de “com chave de ouro” a Inglês eles é interessante porque para mim não faz o mesmo sentido. Finalmente é interessante o nome para garçom porque em francês é impolido para chamar o garçom este nome.

Comment by Ilya Kuperman — March 23, 2010 @ 11:28 pm

RSS feed for comments on this post.