March 13, 2007

Lesson 21: Pronunciation of syllable-final ‘l’, Making Prints of Digital Photos

Filed under: Pronunciation — @ 8:16 am

If you would like to say the name of their country correctly, Michelle and Valdo are here to show us how to say “Brasil,” which really comes out more like “Braziw.”

That is the trick in lesson 21. They also share their experience at self-service digital photo machines.

PODCAST LINK: Lesson 21

1. You guys are great. This explaination of the letters is helping me so much. I have a problem when I hear Portuguise. I know I can hear all the letters in Spainish. Now, I am gaining better skills due to you.

I am interested in the culture of Brazil, too.

I visit Casa de Brazil in Austin for coffee. I am on their email list. Joel Shuler has advised everyone on the email list about an event in Austin’s City Hall tomorrow, March 14:

Hello to Everyone,

I am writing to inform you that we have arranged for Gilberto Gil to
    receive the key to the City of Austin this coming Wednesday, March 14,
    from 12-1:00pm. The event will take place at City Hall and will feature
    3 Brazilian bands from Austin: Academicos da Opera, Seu Jacinto, and the
    Crying Monkeys along with a capoeira demonstration by Capoeira Evolucao.
    Although Gil will not be performing, he will be saying a few short words
    upon receiving the key to the city.

We have created this event as a chance to show both Gil and the City of
    Austin the expanse of the Brazilian Culture here in Austin. All
    Brazilian Cultural Organizations here in Austin have been invited to
    participate and you will be treated to great music, great snacks, and,
    of course, great coffee! I can’t imagine a better opportunity to see
    what Brazilian events and organizations are here in Austin. When you
    add to this the fact that you will get to see and perhaps meet a living
    legend (and not just any living legend, but Gilberto Gil!!!), well, that
    just makes it a must-attend event.

Let me also quickly state how helpful the mayor’s office has been in
    supporting this event. From the first time I contacted them, they have
    been not only supportive, but extremely competent, efficient, and
    knowledgeable in putting this event together. If you can attend the
    event, (and I really hope you can) please be sure to thank them.

Feel free to call me here at Casa Brasil with any questions, and I look
    forward to seeing you all on Wednesday.

I have included the official press release from the mayor’s office
    below.

Sincerely,
    Joel

Casa Brasil
    5213 Evans Avenue
    Austin, TX 78751
    512-407-9887

Press Release:

Mayor Will Wynn welcomes Brazilian Minister of Culture, internationally
    renowned musician Gilberto Gil

Austin Mayor Will Wynn will present a key to the City of Austin to
    Brazilian Minister of Culture and internationally renowned musician
    Gilberto Gil at noon, Wednesday, March 14 on the City Hall Plaza, 301 W.
    Second St.

Key to the City presentation to Gilberto Gil

Wednesday, March 14, 2007 at noon
    Austin City Hall, 301 W. Second St.
    (outside on the plaza)

The event will include an open house with a focus on Brazilian cultures
    by the Brazil Center and Brazilian businesses and performances by the
    Austin Samba School; Seu Jacinto and the Crying Monkeys.

Austin Mayor Will Wynn will be joined by Council Member Mike Martinez to
    formally present the Key to the City to Gil. Presentation of a city key
    is an honor reserved for the highest-level dignitaries and symbolizes a
    unique closeness and appreciation. During Mayor Wynn’s administration,
    twelve keys have been presented. Past recipients include: President of
    Madagascar, Deputy Prime Minister of the UK, and Lord Mayor of Adelaide,
    Australia.

The event is coordinated by the City of Austin, Casa Brasil, and KUT.

Comment by Steve Mayer — March 13, 2007 @ 10:36 am

2. Imagine the luck. I’m in Rio and Gilberto Gil is in Austin. However, I can say for those of you in Austin that Gilberto Gil is the best! I have seen him perform (I know he won’t be performing in Austin) but nobody looks more at home during a performance the Gilberto.

Aquele abraço,

Orlando

Comment by orkelm — March 13, 2007 @ 3:38 pm

3. I get to see him perform Tuesday at Carnegie Hall in New York. Can’t wait!

Comment by Jon R. — March 14, 2007 @ 8:51 am

4. Hi,

you guys are amazing. I really enjoy your podcasts, and I’ve learned a lot. I love languages. I speak Spanish, English, and French. A while ago, I read an article about the comparison between Spanish and Portuguese. It said that they were 90% alike, but you should never say that to a potuguese speaker. I tried reading some Portuguese, and could totally understand it. Yet, when I heard it being spoken, it blew my mind! It was the only Romance language (besides, like, Romanian) that seemed to be out of my reach. But now, I totally get it. In fact, I’ve caught myself pronouncing some Spanish words a little funny. Like este, noche, and de. It makes me laugh. I hope to expand my Portuguese, and visit Brasil someday. I absolutely love the team. Thank you so much. And congratulations to Michelle on her baby.

Sincerely,
    Diego

Comment by Diego Zoghbi — March 14, 2007 @ 10:21 am

5. Diego, Agreed, hearing and reading Portuguese are two different worlds. I’d also add Catalan to that list too. I remember when I first tried to learn some Catalan. I thought it would be a logical transition and found out right away that it sounds way different.
    Funny to hear about your Portuguese pronunciation of Spanish words. It kind of rubs off on you, doesn’t it?
    Orlando

Comment by orkelm — March 14, 2007 @ 6:26 pm

6. Love the podcast! Maybe I missed it in your “lh” or ending “l” lessons… but how is the double “l” pronounced in portuguese? Spanish is obviously the “y” sound, as in tortilla, llama, and silla. Is this the same or different? There’s a brazilian musician named Guillerme Franco that I’ve been enjoying lately, and his name made me think of this. Thanks!

Brian

Comment by Brian — April 7, 2007 @ 6:28 pm

7. Brian,
    OK, “ll” in Portuguese doesn’t really exist. That is to say, the only words that have “ll” would be Spanish words, like “Guillerme”, which every Brazilian would pronounce the same as “lh” as in Guilherme.

Comment by orkelm — April 7, 2007 @ 7:30 pm

8. Super site ! Bravo au webmaster qui a su rendre le site tres interressant.Continue comme ca 😉
    😉

Comment by Magdalena — July 9, 2007 @ 12:30 am

9. Obrigado Maqdalena, tomara que vocês aí que falam francês possam aproveitar também!
    Orlando

Comment by orkelm — July 9, 2007 @ 7:24 am

10. Entao, esta regra é a mesma em diferentes regioes? Por exemplo no Rio e Sao Paulo se fala a “l” do mesmo jeito?

Comment by cynthia — November 15, 2007 @ 2:54 pm

11. Eu adoro ouvir como os brasileiros pronunciam a letra L. Essa lição me faz lembrar de algo que aconteceu há vários meses atras: eu estava na rua e tava vestindo uma camisa que tinha a palavra “Brasil” estampada na parte da frente e um brasileiro viu essa camisa, olhou para mim e disse “Brasiw!” Acho que ele gostou muito daquela camisa. 🙂

Comment by Lisa Martinez — November 20, 2007 @ 8:27 pm

12. Esses ‘l’s se chamam ‘dark L’s’? É interessante, porque ao contrário de alguns outros sons em português, eu acho que o ‘Dark L’ é um som fácil para o falante de inglês aprender. Como a palavra ‘mall,’ me parece que existem ‘dark L’s’ em inglês, e melhor, tem mais em inglês que em espanhol. Isso é a verdade, é a razão que parece mais fácil para um falante de inglês?

Comment by Clyde Sheble — November 10, 2008 @ 2:14 pm

13. Existe alguma palavra onde a “l” nao tenha son de “w”?

Comment by Eduardo Gonzalez — November 12, 2008 @ 5:42 pm

14. Do jeito que falamos “brasil” é mil vezes mais facil 😀 e melhor…

Comment by Liana Depew — November 13, 2008 @ 10:22 am

15. Alguma vez eu estava falando com um argentino que tentava de fazer o sotaque brasileiro. Ele disse, “Em Brasau,” e eu não podia entender o que ele queria dizer, mas estava dizendo “Em Brasil.” So que fazia o “l” mal.

Comment by Shannon Zamora — November 13, 2008 @ 9:18 pm

16. Eu concordo com Clyde. Acho que é muito mais fácil o som do “l” em português em comparação com outros sons. Ainda acho que preciso de bastante ajuda com a minha pronuncia de muitos sons.

Comment by Erin — November 13, 2008 @ 10:56 pm

17. Eu adoro das coisas extranos como isso, e tambem, os brasileiros nao queiram fazer nada si mesmo, eh?

Comment by Eduard Keller — November 13, 2008 @ 11:21 pm

18. Eu nao sabia que o pronunciacao do “l” era differente do pronunciacao do pronunciacao de espanhol.

Comment by Kyle — November 13, 2008 @ 11:37 pm

19. É interessante porque agora quando hablo en espanhol, pronuncio el l assim. Es muito interessante porque acheria que o sotaque americano seria meu padrão

Comment by Ebony Jackson — November 16, 2008 @ 11:59 am

20. Agora eu vejo muitas dessas máquinas nos casamentos. Meio-banal, ne? Ou vocês acham diferente? (Banal nesse caso dá para “corny, cheezy, etc.?”)

Comment by Eric — November 20, 2008 @ 5:54 pm

21. Tudo Brasileiro fala o ‘l’ assim como ‘w’? Ou é uma pronuncia regional?

Comment by Golden Dale Oehlke — November 23, 2008 @ 11:23 pm

22. This is a difficult one for me to incorporate and understand in spoken. For example, sometimes I have NO idea what my profe is saying simply due to this ‘w’ pronunciation… I can’t seem to get used to this sound. Gotta keep trying though… I have a similar issue with the making ‘o’ sound like ‘u’ at the end of words.

Comment by Mary Slosar — June 29, 2009 @ 12:40 pm

23. To me the sound of “l” at the beginning of a syllable in Portuguese is closer to the “l” sound of that in English. The Spanish “l” seems to be done more towards the front of the mouth.

Comment by Carlos Barrera — July 6, 2009 @ 10:26 am

24. Como é o som de “l” no portugues de Portugal ou nos paises em Africa que falam portugues?

Comment by Jennifer Cheek — April 12, 2010 @ 1:10 pm

25. Cual é essa música LOUBO MOU? Como vai?

Comment by Daniel Heron — April 13, 2010 @ 7:02 am

26. Eu sempre achei engraçado nossa tendência como americanos de falar a frase “ATM machine” assim desse jeito. Até eu cometo o erro técnico de falar a palavra “machine” depois de “M”, embora a letra “M” já comunica a ideia da “machine”. Você já percebeu um fenômeno parecido em suas viajens pelo Brasil?

Comment by Eric Solomon — April 13, 2010 @ 12:53 pm

27. E isso:

E interessante que “chapeu” tem “u” no final, mas eu pensaria que deve ter “l”

Comment by Marina — April 13, 2010 @ 8:13 pm

28. Acho que eu já ouvi alguem dizer “um (banco) vinte-quatro horas” para significar “caixa electrônico.” Isso é gíria, ou é que não existe essa palavra? Em relação à pronúncia, na fala dia a dia, como é que uma pode-se ouvir a difereça entre a pronúncia da letra “l” e a pronúncia do ditongo “ão”? Muitas vezes, para mim a pronúncia deles soa quasi exatamente a mesma.

Comment by Will Church — April 13, 2010 @ 8:15 pm

29. A Michele usa a palavra “painel” para descrever a tela. Tem alguma diferença entre essas palavras ou são a mesma coisa?

Comment by Nicholas Hall — April 13, 2010 @ 9:03 pm

30. Existe um sotaque Brasileiro que pronuncia o “l” mais forte, como o “r” do interior?

Comment by Jackie Vega — April 13, 2010 @ 10:44 pm

31. Eu quero saber porque esta frase “Aqui não falta lugar” é plural em Espanhol.

Comment by Ilya Kuperman — April 13, 2010 @ 11:17 pm

32. Eu concordo que tem uma a diferenca forte entre os “l’s” no fin da palavra y no meio. Parece como o som “w” e aveces como o som “u” depende do lugar de “l.”

Tenho otra pergunta- Por que a frase aqui é subjuntivo: Aqui não há falta lugares que tenha essas máquinas….

No transcripto nao entendi e no fala nao entendi tambem. A frase quer dizer “that it may have?”

Comment by Preston Achilike — April 13, 2010 @ 11:59 pm

RSS feed for comments on this post.