Tá Falado

April 5, 2007

Supplementary Lesson 2: Portuguese Consonant Sounds

Filed under: Supplementary — @ 11:24 am

Unlike the regular podcast lessons, we’ve included some other supplementary lessons. Think of these as a sort of Appendix to the regular lessons.

In this second supplementary lesson we provide an audio sample of all of major consonant sounds for Brazilian Portuguese. This should give you a sense of each of the sounds.

PODCAST LINK: Supplementary Lesson 02

10 Comments »

1. Muito bom.

This stuff y’all are doing is great. It is making a difference in my life.

I actually understood a couple of conversations my friends in Campinas were saying this week. I didn’t get exactly every word, but I knew the subject they were talking about.

One of my friends laughed at me saying Hot Dog, like Michelle said in an earlier lesson; “hoti dogi.”

Then they said I need to say “cão quente.” (They laughed again because I didn’t not get my lips correct for “cão.” Part of that problem is too many cervejas..)

Did I miss something about this particular lesson? If I want to order a hot dog in Brazil, do I ask for “cão quente?”

Is the “hoti dogi” only what I can expect my Brazilian friends to say if they are trying to speak English?

Comment by Steve Mayer — April 5, 2007 @ 5:04 pm

2. A wish list.

In my Spainish lessons years ago, the first words I learned were the typical greeting dialogues. ” Hola, que tal?”

I wish y’all could do some typical greetings like this.

The ramp workers at FedEx greet me with, “Oi! todo bom?” I say, “Oi! todo bem. Como é você?”

That pretty much ends my part of a conversation. I wonder if there are other typical greetings or conversations.

What do you say when you answer a phone?

I say “Oi, estoy Steve.” is this correct?

Thanks a million…..

Comment by Steve Mayer — April 5, 2007 @ 5:11 pm

3. Hi Steve,
    Soon we’ll be doing some lessons that are more on language and less on pronunciation and then we’ll be giving you some of what you are asking for. Stay tuned.
    As to your other question about Hog Dog, I’m going to answer it in the discussion blog from lesson 22 (sorry, move on over to read that response.

Orlando

Comment by orkelm — April 5, 2007 @ 5:35 pm

4. i love this podcast! i’m glad i found it… ive almost caught up with all the lessons… anyway, having lived in spain and traveled to portugal, i was wondering if there will ever be any reference to how the portuguese speak? i know brazil dominates the language as far as numbers go, and that the podcast is designed for learning brazilian portuguese, but i really find it interesting just how distinct the 2 dialects are. maybe a reference to portugal would have been appropriate in the podcasts that discussed final S or the T (chee vs. tee) lessons… just a thought.
    BTW, my brazilian girlfriend and her family are delighted that ive found and easy and fun way to further o meu portugues. ever since i learned spanish, i always thought itd be easier to learn portuguese or french from the spanish mindset as opposed to the english, and here you beat me to it. keep the new lessons coming!
    joel

Comment by joel — April 22, 2007 @ 1:05 am

5. Thanks Joel,
    It’s always interesting to hear of people who first are exposed to Portuguese in Portugal and then end up having a Brazilian girlfriend. I can only imagine the language transition that one must go through.
    You are right, of course, the differences between Brazil and Portugal are super evident. We should mention them now and again.
    Orlando

Comment by orkelm — April 22, 2007 @ 3:39 pm

6. I’m a bit late to jump on this podcast bandwagon, but I’m so glad it’s still around! I took a Portuguese for Spanish Speakers class last year at Georgetown kind of randomly and really enjoyed it. The class flew by though and I really felt like I lacked pronunciation. This podcast has helped me so much in that sense, now I go on globotv.com to view videos and practice my listening skills.

One sound that I keep getting confused with is the ‘g’ sound at the beginning of “dizer” and kind of similarly, the ‘tchi’ sound like in “tia.” Whenever I see a ‘d’ or ‘t’ I want to pronounce them like that, but it is not always the case, it depends on the vowels that follow. I haven’t gotten all the way through the podcasts yet but I’ve browsed through them and I don’t think you cover these sounds. Am I just missing it? If you have a dialogue or rules that cover these sounds, I would very much appreciate it.

Thanks!

Comment by Sarah — February 25, 2009 @ 8:55 pm

7. Hi Sarah,
    Ah yes, di and ti. If you go to Pronunciation lessons 10 and 11, you’ll get a gigantic focus on when they sound like Gee and CHee!

Comment by orkelm — February 26, 2009 @ 8:35 am

8. Hi guys! I love your lessons. Spanish is one of my mother tongues and it´s great to find a podcast that shows these two languages similarities and differences (instead of the “learning from scratch” textbooks that you have to pay attention what to skip).
    Keep up the hard work! Thanks!

Comment by sol — April 10, 2009 @ 8:57 am

9. é muito interesante ver as semelhanças entre os consinates de ingles e de português, especialmente porque essas semelhanças ajuda algem quem fala ingles aprender português. Cuantas sotaques exisetem no Brasil, e qual é melhor aprender?

Comment by Barbara Fox — January 26, 2010 @ 11:50 pm

10. É interessante comparar a prununciacao brazileira come aquela de portugal. É tão differente – antes, eu nunca diria “denCHes”, ou “Ji” (de). Mais quando cheguei para Texas, os meus professores eram todos Brasileiros, então já estou acustomado de falar com sotaque um poucodinho Carioca. Falo sempre “sh” no final duma palavra um vez dum “s”. Por exemplo, a cidade Portuguesa “Cascais”. Os estrangeiros tm difficuldade de pronunciar “Cascais”, porque a primeira “s” é mesmo um “s”, mas o segundo se pronuncia como “sh”. Tenho muitos mas exemplos mais estou cansada então vou me deitar. Boa noite!

Comment by Lynne Lee — January 28, 2010 @ 12:09 am

RSS feed for comments on this post. TrackBack URI